Sunday, July 10, 2011

Marty Mart LOVES the KIDS

They're our tomorrow. And today, that's my biggest fear.

Besides this writing thing, I've always had a heart for children. Even as a child, I was the "momma" of the crew. I've always noticed how they'd flock to me. And as much as I'd front like it drove me crazy, internally, it made me feel good. I knew, like my passion for words, it was a gift from God. One that I had to use.

But it's something about young people today that's not so innocent. And hidden inside of their premature souls are tales of growing up way too fast. Learning the hardships of life, when life should be carefree. Dealing with parental issues while their parents are still battling the lines of adulthood.

And most kids these days miss out on just being a kid. Whatever happened to just going outside as a kid with no worries of losing your life before the street lights came on? No worries of someone taking advantage of your innocence. And no one challenging your youth. I hear so many grown folks whine that if they could do life all over, they would. But Vee, well, I beg to differ. In today's times, I wouldn't want to be a kid again. Hell, it's just as hard as being a damn adult these days.

Most kids I teach and mentor are so angry. And the adults in their world call it bad attitude problems. Or flip ass mouths and disrespectful behavior. But do we, society, have any idea where all this anger comes from? Do we know why so many of our young people are bullies to their peers and why so many of them have hatred that we can't seem to explain?

Well here's why: they're hurting and damn near nobody listens! They're alone and damn near nobody's there.  Instead we blame them, we cuss them, we label them, medicate them, we whoop their asses and turn away. Not many people utilize the patience that is needed to nurture the pain that these kids can't quite articulate themselves. Pain that turns into attention seeking and anger issues. Pain that leads most of them in juvenile detention centers, street gangs and in bed with each other to create more unwanted beings with blurry visions of life and love.

So sick of seeing so many young, frustrated mommas whoop their kids in public for crying or asking for something. News flash: kids cry and ask for shit!! The pains of young parents tryna make dollars out of dimes has become the pains of kids wanting a way out. But let's remember, that kid didn't ask to be brought into a world of chaos. So their peace should be well deserved.
Our kids need us. And not just the ones in your family or on your block. These babies are all of our responsibility. They need our guidance and we can't guide them if we're lost ourselves. They're our future leaders. Our world.

So before I start sounding like an old school MJ record, allow me to make my final point. The love of tomorrow solely depends on our kids. So let's try harder to understand them. Nurture them. Love them.

Love,
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment