Monday, February 14, 2011

I LOVE New York: Exclusive with RUSSELL SIMMONS (Part 1)

I'm so hype to give this to you that my fingers moving faster than my brain. I am so humbled to have been in front of Russell Simmons a few days ago. His new book, Super Rich, is a New York Times Best Seller (and he gives big ups to Chi City's very own, Oprah for that). And I was right in front of him and a moderator as he answered questions about his book, life and his love for life.

And I was thirsty! Man, I was working my Flip Video and my Cannon as I had the BlackBerry telling you what was up on Facebook and Twitter. And at the very end, I was the big mouth that got the last question... But that part, we'll cover tomorrow...And I'll have some photos and  footage for you!

Today's love letter, however,  is honoring the man who made this moment for me. Allow me to reintroduce my man... Uncle Rush. "Hustle Simmons", as the New York hoods call him. He truly exemplifies love for his craft; and is not afraid to take his mission a step pass the clouds. Low key, people need to wake up on this man. He's not just Def Jam and Phat Farm. He's a philanthropist from the heart, a meditator for his soul, and he will cuss a fool out in the quickness.

Russell is an American entrepeneur, Father of the RushCard by Visa, Simmons Jewlery Co., man behind HBOs Def Poetry Jam, a daddy of two princesses, a vegan, a yogi, and a Hindu. As I watched him speak that day at Roosevelt, I just studied him; his style, his dialect, his swag. I studied his eloquence, and how he passionately spoke about not what he does, but WHY he does it. He is truly a lover of the people and his passion.

So after 2007 when he and Kimora split, people started whispering and worrying about Uncle Rush ,what he had going on and why we were not hearing too much from him. But I knew he was somewhere quietly on his grind. Hell, he even moved on and dated him a pretty young thang, model Julie Henderson. And everybody was tuning in to his baby brother Rev. Run's  reality show Run's House. Who don't know Jo Jo, Diggy, Russy and his cute nieces? Mad respect for all them as well, because they're also out here on their grind. Even lil Diggy rapping, he got bars, too.

In 2007, USA Today named Russell Simmons one of the "Top 25 Most Influential People of the past 25 Years" and called him the "hip-hop pioneer" for his accomplishments in fashion, finance, television and film. He's the producing and managing face behind Curtis Blow, Whodini, Beastie Boys. Signed on martyrs like Jay-Z, Ludacris and Foxy Brown. And in 1984 when he and his partner Rick Rubin annonced Def Jam to the world, a lot of people start dating hip hop. And it wasn't just a hit it and quit it date, it was one of those love thangs.

I can't call him modern anybody. He is truly imcomparable to anyone in his industry, he designed himself. And I feel so blessed to have been in that room that day. So blessed to have captured a moment with a brother out here from the slums, who reflected that you don't have to be a product of your environment. He's paved the way for the artist that we see and love today, for you and for me. When I look at him, jiggy from head to toe with his New York Fitted, white button up underneath is Navy sweater vest, blue jeans, white Phat Farm sneaks and Buddha around his neck, I see love. Love for what hip hop means, black success means, love for giving, love for the hood. Much Love for you Uncle Rush.

Love you,
Vee

P.S. Be sure to read your love letter tomorrow!! Part 2 of I LOVE New Yok: Exclusive with Russell Simmons.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece. I am so very proud of you and your work. Great perspective from 'Uncle Russ' too.
    Keep up the good work baby.
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete