Wednesday, February 23, 2011

LOVE letter to RAHM EMANUEL: Chicago Mayor-Elect 2011

Dear Rahm,

I've never addressed any of my love letters to anyone personally. But today, I feel the need to talk to you personally. And hell, you may never get this. But it's fine, Santa didn't get my damn letters either.

Congratulations. Chicago's mayor elect 2011. You are now the man who will be accountable for the many voices that feel like they are never heard, and never will be. Some are very happpy that you are the new mayor of our city. Others are pissed. And I won't disclose my personal feelings or my vote, my voice is for the people. Hopefully, your's is too.

We need some guidance here in Chicago, Rahm. It's not just, parking meters and taxes that we need you to address. It's broken homes, racial segregation...the things we can blantly see but are often times ignored. I challenge you, with all due respect, to address those things...our kids don't have enough text books, or after school programs to keep them from killing each other. Our neighborhoods lack grocery stores, many of our homes are boarded up, serving as homes for cocaine and heroin traffic. I want to be able to park downtown without jeopardizing going negative in my account. We need these potholes filled. Point blank, sir, we need honesty.

Rahm, our former governor was indicted, our former school board president committed "suicide" after embezzling the money that should be providing bright futures for our children. Your city...our city...has witnessed over 45 brutal killings in just one summer. Drugs and crooked police pave our roads.

We need your honesty. And some don't trust you one bit. What will you do to gain their trust? Will you lie to us like the rest? Or do you really care about the direction of this city, the well being of the people?

I have had the pleasure of meeting you. Black girl, 5'2, small frame, with a gap. Probably saw my face and forgot it all in one blink. Or maybe you didn't.  It was at the Red Line stop on Roosevelt and State. You shook my hand and said it was a pleasure meeting me. And I mean no disrespect, but from where I'm from, we call that a "fake what's up". But I'm sure you meant no harm. You were just "connecting"with your community.

However, today I had the pleasure of attending a live taping of a post election show at Chicago's WBEZ where WGN's radio personality and Chicago Tribune reporter Rick Kogan says that this election's debates were "thin" and your attempt to meet and collect voters at Chicago's train stops was not so genuine. Many people in the audience were not so enthusiastic about your win; many people in Chicago lost hope since you were named our mayor.

No offense, but all I know is Daley. I don't have memories of many mayors...and when I think mayor, I think him. This election was the first without an incumbent mayor running in over 60 years...this election made history. It is also the first election in over twenty years that Mayor Richard Daley is not running...

A lot of Chicagoans knew you'd win, hands down. And said the hell with voting, Rahm's going to take it, whether we like it or not. Politics is a funny game, that's why I took the artist route. I admire politicians, tough game, takes skill and money to play. Lots of it.

But today, the voting turnout was reported as surprisingly low. That disappoints me. And I'm sure it disappoints you; at least I hope it does.

Chi city needs you Rahm. Obama heavily backs you, so some of us are like "he can't be that bad." Hell, you're from Chicago...but in way, that's what concerns us.

I believe everyone deserves a fair chance. So, there, you have it. I'll make my observations from afar. I'll voice my opinions via ink, represent my city from the heart and trust your leadership; until I have reason not to.

Respectfully with Love,
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment