Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Need LOVE

When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall...naw I'm just playing yall! But that song has so much truth in it. Because LL Cool J is not the only one out here who needs love; we all do.

Love, I believe, is the most powerful emotion there is. It has the potential to intrigue you, change you, hurt you and deceive you, all in the same season. And yet, we always go seeking for more. Problem is, often times, we go seeking love in all the wrong places; causing us to misconstrue the true meaning of love and abuse our own hearts. And needing love and being desparate for love are two separate things. Too many of us are desparate, and desparation is a sure way to taint love.

Not anyone, at least anyone that I can personally identify, can live without  love and attention. These two things help us all function and to some extent, gives us validation in terms of our own survival. We seek love from our parents, love from our children, love from our significant others. But a lot of us don't seek love from ourselves. And if I can just say, nobody can love you like you can love yourself. And once that is realized, a person has the capacity and potential to fairly, unconditionally love others.

Now I know this sounds like an Oprah episode our something a shrink would tell you as you're laying on an odd shaped sofa, but no joke, you can't proclaim that you need love, until you love yourself. The only way to obtain a mutual, reciprocated love relationship is to give that same love back...and that's impossible if someone's loving you, you're loving them, but the two of you are not loving yourselves.

In my times, I've seen people attempt and committ suicide and even murder someone else due to a lack of self-love. We can get lost in the emotion and allow it to do treacherous things to us; even take our lives or someone else's. I've watched love empty some women's wallets, just to keep a man close and "in love". I've watched love change some men to abusers, simply because the love they demanded from a woman was not good enough, mainly because they didn't love themselves enough to embrace their own flaws and others. I've watched love damage lives...when it should be the very thing that breathes life into the damaged.

Yes, we all need love. From the unborn baby girl in her mother's womb to the crackhead scurrying for their next hit. We need not to be judged for our mishaps, but we need people to love us for them, look pass them. However, when seeking love, be sure to stay close to home, close to your own heart. Be sure to value your own being, know your wealth and love you first.

Love You,
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment