Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I LOVE New York: EXCLUSIVE with RUSSELL SIMMONS (Part 2)

So I got word of Uncle Rush being in Chi City from my momma, yep, MOMMA! (Love you boo!) And it was the night before, February 9th!! (FYI: If I'm going to put us on, momma, you need to work on the timing!)

Now understand, I'm no groupie, I'm not fan struck at all. Because like I've mentioned in previous love letters, these celebs are truly just people...lot more money...but people. But just knowing how much I love hip hop and words and giving and loving...oh yeah, I had to be there to see Russell Simmons that morning. And I was.

Now I hate to say (And excuse me momma./Roosevelt M.  A. Graduate) but it felt good knowing I was going to shut down an event on my rival University's territory. See, as a Columbia College graduate, Roosevelt students already know what it is, we don't pass up press opportunities, starving artists are STARVING!

So when I got there, go figure, barely nobody was there! Can you say...JESUS...? So I was set, I got a seat front and center, the end of the left row right in front of the two seats for Russell and the moderator. BlackBerry said 10:52 am. My WalMart watch read 10:54 am(get what you pay for!) And I belonged at work at 11am.

I called my boss with a wack excuse about making up the hours toward the end of the week. I don't think I ever did.

And I waited, and waitied. with a lap full of  recording equipment and a heart full of ambition.

Not until about 11:18 a.m. did I spot that NY fitted out of a crowd. Russell Simmons was in the building. And Vee was ready to work.

He sat down in the left seat, moderator to his right (...and remember, I mentioned I was in the left row!) So I was up close and personal. Believe me, he will remember this face and gap! And I was completely drawn in...he spoke real, he dropped the "F Bomb", he made me laugh, think. I was truly inspired. Unforgettable.

I was completely caught in capturing the moment to deliver to you (and photos are running to top-left, courtesy of Vee's Cannon!) and afterward, he hosted a Q & A for the audience. And yall know I had to ask something!! But I wanted to be good, I needed to leave with more than just photos, video footage and bragging rights.

And so the questions were rolling, Some senseless, some thought-provoking. And then he stopped a brother who was trying to push his own CD off on him. And he said in response to the young hustler's request "Make your questions meaningful. Ask something that may help everybody here today."

So I knew then, if that guy with the mic called on me, I had to be ready. I had to make my mommy and daddy proud! I had to remember that moment.

And so we were down to the second to last question. Russ said "Let's take one more after this."

And I was that "one more"! Yes, Vee got the last question with Mr. Def Jam himself! (Check out the two video clips above, courtesy of Vee and the nice brotha who sat next to me!)

I let Russ know how honored I was, he smiled, I blushed (ok... damn near fell over) and I asked (with my hood in mind):

Vee: Last question of the day and I'm so honored to take it.

Russell: Thank you.

Vee: Freelance journalist, just graduated from Columbia College Chicago. I just launched my blog and I do a lot of writing for the Austin community, Chicago's largest community, biggest, blackest community in Chicago. The poorest community in Chicago. What do you have to say about a commuity like that? No resources, but it's the biggest, blackest community.

Russell Simmons: What do I have to say about it?

Vee: Oh, and I'm reppin' my hood because I'm from Austin. (Audience members laugh.)

Russell Simmons: The poverty and the violence, I mean thank God for the black church. The diversity within a community that is the blackest, as black as it is, all is beautiful. (Check out his entire response to my question in the above video).

And so my job was done. Afterward, I got in line for the book signing and Russell's agent had realized that Fed Ex was running late with the books. And he was pissed! I wasn't able to get my book, but I did snag a photo with him and an autographed bookmark.

Lasting memory. I'll have that moment for life. And now, so will you!

Love you... and I love you hip hop...you've been showing me so much love lately; actually, since we met!
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment