Monday, February 21, 2011

"I LOVE you Jody": EXCLUSIVE coverage with TARAJI P. HENSON

Taraji has come a long way from being Jody's Yvette in "Baby Boy". Her hard work has gotten award recognition and she's currently up for an Oscar. And with all her accomplishments, she continually gives back.

Just last week, February 14th, Taraji gave students and guests a sweet Valentine treat at Columbia College Chicago. She did a lecture for Columbia's 2011 African Heritage Celebration. Her voice was real, down-to-earth. And Vee was all ears...

Taraji hit the stage with a fitted, classy royal blue dress, showing off what her momma gave her. And black, 5 inch, platform high heels that should be on the shelf of my closet. And as she and the moderator graced Columbia's stage, someone from the audience screamed out:

"I love your shoes Taraji!"

Her reply: "Thank you! I love 'em too!"

Her spirit is felt the moment her presence enters any room. Her humor is unpredictable, but always on time. She's funny as hell, beautiful, sexy, talented and with all this...she remains humble.

"If it doesn't excite or move me, I'm not interested. I don't work for the money. I don't sell out," said Taraji.

Taraji has appeared in a long list of "must sees" including Tyler Perry's Not Easily Broken, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (where's she's up for an Oscar), Hustle and Flow, Four Brothers, Talk to Me...the list goes on. And her motivation goes forward because her passion is her drive.

"I don't chase awards," she said.

Taraji talked about the death of her father in 2006. She described how close she was to him and how her role as Queenie helped her deal with his death.

"It is because my father that I am sitting on this stage today," said Taraji. "He spoke life into me, he told me I would be great and that I was beautiful. Everything that I'm living, he told me that it would happen."

Out of everything Taraji said that evening to the audience, that one quote stuck out to me. When we speak positive things into our lives and the lives of others, if we mean it for the good, it usually comes to past. And since I've heard Taraji say that, every single day I speak good things into my daughter's life. And wait, patiently, for them to come to past.

As I sat and watched Taraji, as I listened to her success and her pains, I didn't see an actress, I didn't see Hollywood glamour and fame. I saw a black woman, somebody's momma, someone's daugther. I heard tales of waking up at the crack of dawn to get her son to school, working odd jobs to make ends meet...the same lives we live. The same struggles we face. And Taraji wasn't ashamed to share these things and explain how they've made her a success.

Looking pass what I see on tv, Taraji displays love beyond the lime light. She truly loves the work she does. And this is not to say she doesn't enjoy the attention, the spotlight. Hell, don't we all!

Love you...and so much LOVE for Taraji. Keep hustling and flowing...such an inspiration!,

Vee

1 comment: