Sunday, February 6, 2011

I'll Always LOVE my momma, She's my favorite girl

I’d never forget that day I told my momma I hate her. If only we could reverse our words. I wish every single day I could take those back. Damn…

I never truly understood the love of my momma… until I became a momma. Now to all my male readers, I hope by this point I haven’t lost you. (I know it’s Super Bowl Sunday but bare with me here!) I hope you haven’t stopped reading this love letter, because this one’s for you too. Your momma is that same woman who taught you how to feel about women, how to nurture them, their sneaky ways and how to decipher the games that women play. Believe it or not, if you’ve had the gift of growing with your momma, she was indeed your first example of a woman. She was the first woman you felt, externally and internally.

Whether your momma is here with you or not, whether she gave you up at birth to a foster family, or she seemingly chose her boyfriend in the place of you…your momma loves you. It doesn’t matter if you’re the first born and you consider your life a screw up among the rest of your siblings, or you’re the middle child that the world never seems to give its due attention…there is nobody in this world who can take your place in your momma’s heart. In her eyes, you’re that same baby she struggled to potty train, eat vegetables and pass math. And you only get one…

Let’s take time to revisit your life before you had one. The nine months it takes to carry a child are some of the most grueling times of a woman’s life. While the experience can be one of God, beautiful and incomparable to any other, there’s the heartburn, the swollen ankles, and the hourly mood swings that drives everyone crazy. Point blank, being pregnant is hard. And being a mother is even harder. Yet, when something goes wrong, it is the mother who is to blame. And when times get tough, it is our momma we usually call on.

You see somebody started this wack rumor that once a child is 18, the mother’s job is done. Needless to say, there is not really much truth in that. Once a momma’s child has reached the level of adulthood, there is no letting go. A mother never lets go. In fact, my grandmother would always say, “they’re born and they lay on your knee, when they’re grown, they’re on your heart.”

Today’s momma start as young as teenagers, even young as 15. Motherhood in our society has become the result of irresponsible flesh, the flesh that had no business engaging in baby making in the first place. Trust me, I know…I engaged at fifteen. And by the age of 21, I was somebody’s momma. And now, I get it. I wonder sometimes how I was even motivated before my daughter, Sara. I thought it was crazy how people would have kids and then talk about how their motivation went out the roof. But now I see. And if you’re somebody’s momma, I’m sure you do, too.

Something that I think we’ve all forgotten along the way, is that our mommas are only human; just like the rest of us. See being from a family of six siblings, I thought for a long time that my OG had super powers. How the hell do you grocery shop and cook for that many people…everyday!? I figured it had to take some real powers to raise six children. But truth is, it wasn’t her internal power; we, the children, were the power. And once I gave birth to my daughter, I stopped giving myself the credit. She was my drive, she remains my drive. YOU are your momma’s drive; regardless of your age, how many times of day you two may talk…you are the driving force in your momma’s life. And if she’s not here on this earth with you, she still lives in you.

In everything you do, praise your momma. She’s made many sacrifices for you. And no, I’m not talking about the kind of sacrifices that landed her with the dishes and you with the early bedtime. I’m talking the sacrifices that has allowed you to take your next breath, step your next step. The love that has allowed you to enjoy the joys of the world; because she gave you life, honor her. Don’t wait for Mother’s Day to value her.
When Tupac released Dear Momma, the world couldn’t believe he blamed his momma for “turning his brother into a crack baby”. Yet, in his words, she was still appreciated. So regardless of the pain and disbelief your momma may have displayed to you, there is no greater love, no greater strength.

I challenge you, males included, to tell your momma, your OG, that you love her today. I challenge you to reflect on all the sacrifices she makes for you… to this very day, and thank her for those sacrifices.

And here’s the greater challenge….imagine your world without your momma. Now, some of you don’t have to imagine; this has already come to past for you. But if your momma is still here, force yourself to think about life without her…that thought should make you feel something; act on it.
 
Love you…and I especially love you, MOMMA,
Vee

1 comment:

  1. I'm CALLING my mom to let her know how much I LOVE her! GREAT article....keep posting your love letters cause GOD knows we call could use them!
    www.allineedisonemic.com
    @AkishaLockhart

    ReplyDelete