Tuesday, May 3, 2011

LOVERS and FRIENDS

Friends. How many of us have them?

This title "friend" is used so loosely in our society. And I can't tell you how many damn terms we've made up to define it: Besty, Boo, Homie, Ace...but what are the qualities of a true friendship? And shit, do you yourself have these necessary qualities?

I'll never forget this quote I read years ago that said "A true friend is someone who knows everything about you, and they're still your friend." Damn right. Because even when a true friend knows your most shameful secrets and witnessed you at your lowest, they won't deny you. They will still love you. They'll be there. Even when they don't want to. You never have to question their trust, you never have to explain your faults. You're straight up with them, and they're straight up with you.

Literally, I can count my true friends on only one hand. Some I don't even talk to as often as I'd like. But it doesn't matter. Because a true friend is never distant, and if their true, yall will always pick up right where yall left off. And if they're in my crew, they've been around for quite sometime. My advice: keep your crew small, and your problems should remain small.

 But many people have this one problem: EVERY DAMN BODY IS THEIR FRIEND. When indeed, this is not the truth. Because we all know that everyone who smiles at us, talks to us and claims to be down for us, just don't have our best interest at heart.

It all boils down to this: Be a blessing to receive a blessing. Be a good friend and you shall reap real friendships. Don't take your friends for granted and use the term carefully...Like our hearts, friendships are delicate. And once broken, they are very difficult to mend.

Love,
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment