Friday, April 8, 2011

STUDIO LOVE: EXCLUSIVE with MONEY BAGZ SHAWTY

He says that right now in Chi City there is no other rapper better than him.

Money Bagz Shawty, star of TerJon Records, and his crew invited me to kick with them at the studio during a recording session. And they were putting in work. And of course, so was I...

It was late Friday night. I had been virtually conversing with T.J. Kimbrew, he's the Co-chairman, DJ, and producer of TerJon Records. So I pulled up in front of the address and dude tells Vee to come to the side gate, dark as hell. So naturally, my mace in hand, I did. Trying to be the hardcore reporter I was trained to be...I was scared as hell. Thinking to myself about where I'm from and a few scenes in Goodfellas that didn't end too well on the side of buildings...in the dark

Needless to say, they were legit. Good fellas, I was in good hands.

"I'm not from the block, I'm just gonna keep it real," said Jonathan Locke, Co-chairman of TerJon Records. His name and TJ's name actually makes up the record label's name. Cute huh?

"My parents moved me out to the burbs," Locke said. "So I can't relate and say that I was a thug nigga, but my buddies were. The music was my thing," he said.

Locke said he studied the business. And his knowledge along with Money Bag Shawty's skill helped birth TerJon Records.


"This ain't just a rap thing." said Locke. "This is a motherfucking business. And that's how we operate. We operate professionally, we don't talk about other people shit. We respect everybody else's huslte."

And they hustle hard.

MBS can now be heard on Power 92 and WGCI and his latest single, "Get It", is available iTunes . All of his crew urges everyone to buy his new mix tape, D Rose Da MVP. And I thought that was a hell of a marketing strategy, considering just how hard Chicago's own D Rose has been going on the court. Just as hard as MBS and his crew been going in the studio. Point blank, their hard work is paying off. And Vee is a living witness!

I felt like I was in a Hustle and Flow scene. So much passion was in the air. Shit, even I wanted to start spitting to a beat. I was just that impressed with these young hustlas...like a proud granny at graduation. Felt like magic seeing my brothers doing something positive, together on a Friday night. And being damned good at it.

"I'm Chicago crazy,"said Money Bagz. "I'm the hottest thing in the city right now."
Like me, MBS is  a product of Chicago's west side. And unlike all the wack ass stereotypes, he's worked above and beyond the streets that many of us get lost in. Hell of a father, too. Got a baby girl, not even a year. And she's got his heart. And her heart beats thru his music. The moment he mentioned her she blushed. But hell, the moment I walked in he did that.  Cute...he's street hood but nothing was scary about him. The whole crew. Good dudes.

"We go hard because we want to be the greatest," said Money Bagz. "This is not a dream, we living reality right now."

So allow me to reintroduce...exclusive videos with Money Bagz Shawty and his crew. Good times. From Vee to You...

Love,
Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment