Friday, March 4, 2011

LOVING...just enough for the CITY

Duh, I talk about it like every damn blog piece! I love Chi City and guess what? A day after the birthday of my princess Sara, is the birthday of my city. Yes, today marks the 173rd year of the foundation of Chicago...So happy birthday Chi City!!!

I can't rep nothing I don't know nothing about. In the hoods I've been around, you get beat up for that. And I know this: this city been gangsta long before a lot of people know. So sit down all you dangerous Two Sixes and Moes who false flagging and couldn't even tell me about your 21 bricks. Man I know of stories where liquor and gangstas with the infamous black dob hat ran your streets, my streets and all this damn city. Streets where they took no mercy on fools trying to play them, I can bet this city is home to many dead bodies, souls between the bricks that now make our homes.

Real talk, and maybe it's just Vee, but I be tripping on all the places I could have been born and raised and God decided to drop me off out here in the Chi, out west somewhere off Chicago Avenue. Man, them so rough parts too at the time. Still are.

But I love Chi City for its brutal hustle. Because it's something about us, or at least it should be, that got some resilience out this world. We bounce back, we dodge bullets, we shoot bullets. A lot of us got December hearts from cold summers.

Out East, shout out to all yall. Never venture over there too much, what yall be on? Word is yall saditty, hell me too sometimes. Lets go shopping!!!

Up North, you've turned into  a place of wonder. My worries are constant, and it's not just yall street parking that startles me. The love that's being sought somewhere over rainbows where the colors aren't so bright and aint much gold at the end.

South Side: sucka for anything southern. Lover for the ambition in your streets and I'm west side all day but Harold's chicken with extra mild sauce got my heart. Always somebody that way trying to make it, a lot of yall do. But too many of yall not making your eighteenth birthdays.

West Side: My side. So much love for you, so many stories you've given me, many untold. You raised me. Lot of women out west be on some other but you taught me not to be your average.
And like your weather Chi town, my unpredictability makes me. Sometimes too hot to handle, sometimes cold as ice.

And much love for the burbs. On all sides. Something about Chi city burbs that's just as gangsta as its city parts, but it still give folks hope, at least it used to.

Chi city I carry you with me, the harsh winds that I push up against, and the bitter chills that made me strong.

Love,
Vee

1 comment:

  1. A lot of us got December hearts from cold summers." That right there, is my favorite line. So much truth. My introduction to city was in a brutal summer. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete