Saturday, March 12, 2011

MUSIC for LOVE: EXCLUSIVE with CARESS SAHURA

When I walked into the Red Kiva that night, I had no clue love would become re-defined to me. And before then, I had began to turn my back on the validity of today's music, lyrics and the purpose it was serving in our hoods. Until Caress Sahura. It was REFUGE Sundays presentation of HIGHER. And that was the exact direction of my soul...because Caress's voice took my soul higher.

Starting as early as kindergarten, Caress grew in love with music, one of those love sick feelings like you have for your first crush. She said that after a while "music was all she knew." She began singing for fun, then as her love for music took off, her talent for it began to fly. She now performs consistently throughout Chi City, where she was born and raised, perfecting her craft. She works proudly as an independent artist and says she doesn't plan to go mainstream, but if it happens, it happens. More so than a career, it's a commitment, a life.

"Me and music have an unconditional marriage," said Caress. "We work together. I love music and it's a part of my everyday life."

A sight for sore eyes, a sound for lost hope. Caress Sahura's music shifts the soul right into place. Her beautiful complexion of darkness tells her story of strength and black pride. She carries a special love inside her, an old soul that gives off a sense of hope for this sometimes hopeless world. And she credits her roots for paving the way.

"My ancestors inspire me because they pretty much paved the way for me," she said. "I'm so in tune with soul music."

And she does it all for the love. She gives so much love to Aniba Hotep and the Sol Collective, her band. And a special love to her drummer, Anthony Capers whom she describes as a brother. I must say, they make a hell of a team. Her genre reminds me of a soulful India Arie with a bad girl swag, but sweet as pie. She remembers growing up on Brandy and described her as "classic." Her soul tells a lyrical story. And when you hear her, everything wrong fades away for that moment. I was in a zone. And so was Caress.

"I feel like my music will represent positivity because it's so much negativity in the world. With me representing that, the world needs my voice. Being on stage is one of those unexplainable feelings. It's love...on another level."

Enjoy my exclusive videos of Caress's performance this past month at the Red Kiva. From Vee to You!

P.S. Follow Caress Sahura on Twitter @NILEDISIAC and add her on Facebook at Caress Sahura to follow her performance schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment